Note: All courses will offer opportunity to discuss individual behaviours of concern and support/Individual Educational Plans.
Name of course:
Introduction Level: Challenging Behaviour and Positive Behaviour Support – Education/Children and Young People Service
Length/duration of course:
1 day 6 hours average contact time.
By the end of this workshop, delegates will be able to:
- Work in accordance with the RESPECT philosophy of supportive and ethical solutions – a focus on pro-active strategies to minimise or reduce behaviours that challenge.
- Understand the crisis cycle/behaviour escalation and the different strategies that can be used at each stage – what works and when?
- Understand the causative factors to challenging behaviour– what’s it all about?
- Apply a range of secondary interventions such as identifying early warning signs, calming, redirection, planned ignoring – what can you do de-escalate a situation and empower the person to regain self control?
- Complete an ABC (Antecedent, Behaviour, Consequence) chart and other good practice tools through the use of case studies – how does this information contribute to a positive behaviour support plan?
- If required: Demonstrate competency with relevant physical intervention and release techniques. – stance, protective stance, touch support (as deemed necessary through pre-training audit)
- Understand the Law in relation to physical intervention and health and safety considerations
All staff working with this client group including residential, day settings, fieldwork, education and health.
This level is designed for staff in low risk residential and fieldwork settings – statutory, voluntary and private sector.
Education and Children and Young People Service.
To enquire about this course, please visit our Contact page.