Note: All courses will offer opportunity to discuss individual behaviours of concern and support/Individual Educational Plans.
Name of course:
Foundation Plus Level: Challenging Behaviour and Positive Behaviour Support – Education/Children and Young People Service
Length/duration of course:
4 days 24 hours average contact time.
By the end of this workshop, delegates will be able to:
- Work in accordance with the RESPECT philosophy of supportive and ethical solutions – a focus on pro-active strategies to minimise or reduce behaviours that challenge.
- Understand the crisis cycle/behaviour escalation and the various strategies that can be used at each stage – what works and when?
- Understand the causative factors to challenging behaviour– what’s it all about?
- Apply a range of secondary interventions such as identifying early warning signs, calming, redirection, planned ignoring – what can you do de-escalate a situation and empower the person to regain self control?
- Complete an ABC (Antecedent, Behaviour, Consequence) chart and other good practice tools through the use of case studies – how does this information contribute to a positive behaviour support plan?
- Implement a range of practical everyday prevention strategies such as the alternative to ‘no’
- Use case studies to focus on the elimination of problems by helping to establish new behaviours or by re?establishing those which have been lost or distorted
- Respond to scenario based questions and situations about the possible function of behaviour and how this can be supported and managed
- Implement positive strategies to encourage positive behaviour in your setting
- Understand how to use positive appropriate relationships to enhance an organisational culture of support and not control
- Understand the importance of accurate record keeping in accordance with the law and relevant local policies and the requirements for effective post incident management and support
- Demonstrate safety and competency for a range of physical intervention skills and release techniques as per pre-training audit
- Demonstrate competency in advanced and specialised physical supportive techniques
- Understand the Law in relation to physical intervention and health and safety considerations
All staff working with this client group including residential, day settings, fieldwork, education.
This level is designed for staff in medium to high risk settings – statutory, voluntary and private sector.
Education and Children and Young People Service.
To enquire about this course, please visit our Contact page.